Everyone knows that part of running a workplace is keeping that workplace clean. But not everybody realizes how big an impact commercial cleaning can have on a business environment. At JAN-PRO®, over 25 years of commercial cleaning industry experience have taught us the value of workplace cleaning — and the numbers back us up. Below, we’ve collected key stats about workplace hygiene and cleaning that every business owner should know when they’re choosing a cleaning provider.
The Cost of Sick Employees
- Sick days, worker compensation, and other costs linked to workplace illness cost American businesses $576 billion every single year.
- 40% of workers report that they went into work while sick in 2016, increasing the risk of bacterial or viral transfer from employee to employee.
- Employees who work through cold/flu symptoms report a 3% to 8% reduction in performance.
- Workers suffering from dust exposure suffer a 2% to 6% decline in their cognitive abilities, as measured in typing, logical, reasoning, memory, arithmetic, and creative thinking skills.
Germs in the Workplace
- Sink faucet handles are considered the dirtiest place in the average workspace, with 229,000 germs per square inch.
- Phones are typically the most contaminated gadget in the office, with over 25,000 germs per square inch.
- The average desk is covered in 21,000 germs per square inch, which works out to over 1,000,000 germs on a typical desk — 10 times more than the average kitchen table.
- Even though the average desk is covered in germs, 62% of office workers choose to eat lunch at their desks.
- 50% of office workers also snack at their desks and 27% eat breakfast at their work station.
- Despite the high germ count on the average desk, only 20% of workers clean their workspace before eating on it.
The Importance of Commercial Cleaning
- Proper commercial cleaning reduces the risk of workers catching the common cold and flu at work by a full 80%.
- Workplaces with quality commercial cleaning vendors report 46% fewer sick days each year.
- Commercial cleaning can increase productivity as much as 2% to 8%, while improving worker health and satisfaction.
The JAN-PRO Difference
- JAN-PRO’s EnviroShield® disinfection system eliminates 99.9999% of germs and bacteria on contact.
- Our HEPA-filter vacuums trap airborne microbes as small as 0.4 microns in diameter.
- JAN-PRO cleaners serve 40,000 customers worldwide with one of the highest customer retention rates in the commercial cleaning business.
Bring the JAN-PRO difference to your business today. Call 866-355-1064 today for a free commercial and office cleaning consultation.