More businesses are doing their part for sustainable and eco-friendly practices. Not only are these helpful for the environment, but it’s a great way to boost their brand image, lower operating costs, and reduce their carbon footprint. When it comes to cleaner spaces, many businesses are turning away from typical cleaning methods and opting for a new trend in sanitation: green cleaning.
Rather than using artificial chemicals and substances, more businesses are finding sustainable and effective green cleaning services to achieve clean and healthy spaces. Here’s why an increasing number of companies are turning to green cleaning options and the benefits you can expect from making the switch.
What Is Green Cleaning?
The practice of green cleaning involves the use of exclusively natural substances to clean your spaces. Typical commercial cleaning products often contain manufactured substances and chemicals that can be harmful for the environment. While your spaces may be clean, the residue from these products can make its way to sewers and landfills and can be harmful to plants, animals, and the environment.
Green cleaning products, on the other hand, can effectively clean your property while posing little to no danger to the environment when disposed of. Some of the typical characteristics of green cleaning products include:
- The products are made with organic materials and substances already found in nature.
- There are no phosphates or chlorine in the product.
- There are no artificial fragrances or colorings.
- They’re either biodegradable, reusable, or recyclable packaging materials.
In short, green cleaning provides all the benefits of cleaning services but without the toxic chemicals harmful for the environment.
6 Reasons to Use Green Cleaning Products
Some notable benefits of making the switch to green cleaning:
- Clean and Green Spaces: Green cleaning products offer the same level of quality – if not better – as everyday cleaning products. By making the switch you won’t be sacrificing workplace cleanliness, but you will still be taking steps towards environmentally sustainable practices.
- No Toxic Fumes: Many ordinary cleaning products should not be mixed or come into contact with other products as they can lead to toxic fumes. Some products also recommend ventilating a room after use to minimize fumes that can cause headaches, allergies, or asthma attacks.
- No Harmful Residue: Some people are allergic to chemical substances and may experience rashes or other skin conditions if they come into contact with cleaning residue.
- Eco-friendly Packaging: Products that are genuinely green come in packaging that’s either biodegradable, reusable, or recyclable.
- Lower Cleaning Costs: Green cleaning products are often multipurpose, so the number of supplies needed to clean different types of surfaces and spaces is greatly reduced.
- Boost Your Brand Image: Businesses that take steps towards more sustainable practices are likely to receive the support of sustainable consumers.
Green Cleaning vs. Greenwashing
Before you try switching your business’ cleaning supplies with green cleaning products or searching for green cleaning services, take care not to fall for tactics known as “greenwashing”. This is when certain products or services claim to be eco-friendly in an attempt to tap into consumers that are conscious about sustainability.
Given the increasing popularity of eco-friendly options, many products claim to be non-toxic and good for the environment – even if they aren’t totally. There aren’t any regulations on cleaning products and services using words like “eco-friendly” and “natural”, so products can use these words vaguely even if they wouldn’t necessarily be totally eco-friendly in the way most people use the word. Some examples to watch out for:
- Products that have labels like “20% more eco-friendly” give very vague promises or statistics about how sustainable a product is.
- Products that claim to be eco-friendly but have no certification from organizations like Green Seal, Safer Choice, or Ecologo.
- Companies that claim to have sustainable and eco-friendly products, but their operations are the cause of pollution.
To ensure you’re getting genuine green cleaning products and services, you should either read the labels carefully to ensure products are totally green. For services, ensure your provider has certification and can carefully provide you with their steps to prove eco-friendly practices.
Achieve Clean and Green Spaces with JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting
When you partner with JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting, you have a team equipped with certified eco-friendly cleaning tools and supplies to create spotless spaces. Green cleaning services are done with a suite of quality cleaning products that meet the green certification requirements of the industry to ensure sustainable practices.
Contact JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting today to get an estimate on green cleaning services.