Part of the responsibilities of running a business is keeping the premises clean and presentable. Employees need a hygienic, safe, and healthy work environment where they can perform their tasks comfortably and efficiently. Whether you manage corporate offices, food establishments, sports facilities, or any brick-and-mortar enterprise, commercial cleaning and office cleaning are crucial in ensuring your day-to-day activities proceed smoothly.
Building custodians and janitors are entrusted with this responsibility, but they can use all the help they can get. So we’ve put together a commercial cleaning checklist for each room commonly found in commercial and corporate offices.
Office Cleaning Checklist for Open-Floor Plans and Cubicles
Cleaning an open floor plan in a corporate office may involve working in and around various cubicles and individual workstations. With that in mind, here are a couple of pointers to include in your commercial cleaning checklist for open floor plans with or without cubicles:
Send out a memo reminding everyone to temporarily clear their desks to make it easier for the cleaning crew to dust and clean.
- Dust from top to bottom, especially empty, open shelves.
- Collect the used dishes and trash left on the desk to be returned to the pantry and disposed of.
- Lightly dust the monitor, keyboard, CPU, and exposed wires.
- Wipe down the desk, keyboard, monitor, mouse, and other computer devices with a clean rag and disinfectant.
- Spray liquid cleaner and disinfectant on glass windows and frosted glass dividers, then clean using a squeegee.
- Sweep or vacuum floors that are clean except for the usual dust.
- Mop floors and pay extra attention to areas that feel sticky.
Office Cleaning Checklist for Private Offices
Private offices often require less elbow grease because they are smaller, and many employees may not require janitorial staff to clean their individual desks. Cleaning teams will focus on the floors and windows instead. Here are some useful checklist items for cleaning private offices:
- Dust cabinets and surfaces from top to bottom.
- Carefully dust the computer screen and keyboard.
- If the desk is cleared of papers and personal items, wipe the surface with disinfectant.
- Vacuum the floor and carpet, particularly under the desk.
- Vacuum or wipe down the office chairs.
- Empty the wastebasket.
- Spray or wipe disinfectant on surfaces people often touch like the phone handset, doorknobs, armrests, copier and fax machines, lamp and light switches, stapler, etc.
Commercial Cleaning Checklist for Reception Areas
The receptionist’s desk and waiting area in a corporate office tends to have the highest foot traffic. In health facilities, the reception area is prone to airborne viruses and bacteria, so disinfection is paramount when cleaning. See our checklist below:
- Dust from top to bottom, including hanging light fixtures, lamps, and decorative items.
- Sweep, vacuum, and mop the floor.
- Vacuum the rugs and carpets.
- Wipe down all visible surfaces like the reception desk and counter (including the sides of the cubicle), tables, open shelves, mirrors, etc.
- Use appropriate cleaning products for each surface (e.g. wood cleaner and polish for wooden desks and glass cleaner for clear and frosted mirrors).
- Apply disinfectant on surfaces people often touch, like doorknobs, cabinet handles, telephone handsets, security keypads, light switches, etc.
- Vacuum upholstered chairs and straighten cushions.
- Use an aerosol disinfectant spray.
- Use deodorizer or your preferred air freshener.
Commercial Cleaning Checklist for Bathrooms
There’s a greater focus on disinfection when cleaning bathrooms. This is because toilets should always be hygienically clean for people to feel comfortable using them. If your bathrooms aren’t thoroughly and regularly cleaned, your business stands the risk of developing a negative reputation for hygiene. Here’s a checklist to help you out:
- Empty the waste bins in all toilet cubicles and place a new garbage bag or liner in each one.
- Sweep debris and trash.
- Mop the floor with disinfectant.
- Clean and disinfect all toilets, toilet seats, bidets, sensor screens, toilet paper dispensers, electric hand dryers, and doorknobs.
- Wipe all cubicle walls with disinfectant.
- Dust the light fixtures.
- Clean the mirror with a glass cleaner and finish off with disinfectant.
- Refill the toilet paper and soap dispensers.
- Use your preferred air freshener.
Commercial Cleaning Checklist for Kitchens and Break Rooms
Keeping your office kitchens and break rooms clean helps to boost employee morale and creates a clean and welcoming environment for coworkers to socialize and maximize their relationships. We’ll be focusing on office kitchens that have minimal appliances.
- Clear the counters and tables of leftover food, wrappings, takeout boxes, plastic cups, etc.
- Place all used dishes, utensils, mugs, and glasses on the sink. Wash, dry, and put them away in the cupboards.
- Sweep or vacuum the floor before mopping with disinfectant.
- Inspect the contents of the refrigerator and throw out expired food.
- Transfer food in open packets into airtight glass containers or unused ziplock bags.
- Remove the shelves, wash them, and wipe them down with disinfectant before replacing everything – including the food – inside the refrigerator.
- Empty the trash bin and place a new liner.
- Take the used hand towels and kitchen counter rags for washing and drying. Replace with a freshly laundered batch.
- Wipe down all surfaces – sink, faucet, counter, tables, and appliances – with disinfectant.
Achieve the Best Clean From a Professional Commercial Cleaning Team
A cleaning routine and a checklist is crucial for effectively cleaning commercial and private offices. Not only will this help your janitorial staff keep track of what needs to be done, but it also leaves visitors and clients with a positive impression of your business. With regular cleaning regimens in place, you can focus your time and effort on improving your business operations and improving employee productivity and satisfaction.
When the days are busy, and neither your staff nor building custodians can devote as much time as necessary to cleaning your offices, call our professional commercial cleaning team at JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting, Entrepreneur Magazine’s #1 Commercial Cleaning Franchise for 14 years straight. Our cleaning franchisees all over the country are equipped with the latest products and equipment for commercial cleaning. Our certified and professional cleaning teams work hard to give all clients a clean, safe, and healthy environment.
Schedule a free estimate today so that cleaning franchisees can assess your needs and provide you with a quote.
Cleaning and disinfecting services provided by independently owned and operated JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting franchisees.