As a business owner or office manager, how well you keep your break room clean and inviting directly impacts the well-being and satisfaction of your employees at work. A spotless and fresh-smelling break room not only promotes a healthier workplace but also fosters a positive environment where employees can relax and recharge.
However, keeping the space clean where your staff goes to take a break, socialize with other employees, or eat throughout the day is easier said than done. The break room cleaning checklist below can help make this task more organized and manageable. But first, let’s delve into why keeping this space clean and inviting is essential in the first place.
The Importance of a Clean, Healthy, and Inviting Break Room
Regular and thorough break room cleaning brings benefits like the following:
A tidy and well-kept break room provides your employees with a pleasant space to disengage from their steady stream of tasks, catch up with their teammates during a quick break, or have their meals in peace. All these can help boost employee morale, improve mental well-being, and inspire creativity.
Health and Hygiene
Besides making your break room look welcoming, ensuring it is free from clutter, overflowing garbage, rotting food, and mold can keep insects and rodents out. This minimizes the chances of pests leaving behind disease-causing substances in the same place your staff eats or takes a break.
Whether you’re welcoming new employees or letting your clients visit your office, a spotless break room can help you establish a favorable image. It reflects positively on your company’s reputation and lets you put your relationships with them on the right track from the get-go.
Breakroom Cleaning Checklist
Keeping your break room clean can seem monumental, but breaking down this job into these daily, weekly, and monthly tasks can make things more manageable.
- Wipe the countertops. Use a disinfectant spray or wipes to clean countertops, tables, and other surfaces where food is prepared or eaten.
- Clean the appliances. Wipe down microwave interiors and handles of other kitchen appliances now and then. Empty and clean the coffee pot daily.
- Sweep and mop the floors. Crumbs and spills can cover your kitchen or breakroom floors quickly. Sweep crumbs and clean up spills immediately to keep them spotless and prevent pests like ants and cockroaches.
- Empty trash bins. Empty trash bins daily and replace liners as necessary.
- Check for expired food. Encourage employees to label their food with dates and regularly check for and discard expired items.
- Deep clean appliances. Thoroughly clean and sanitize appliances, including your microwave, refrigerator, and coffee machine.
- Clean and organize cabinets. Take items out of your cabinets, wipe the interior thoroughly, and organize the items as you return them to their places.
- Sanitize sinks and drains. Use a disinfectant to clean and disinfect the sink, faucet, and surrounding surfaces.
- Wash dishcloths and towels. Replace dishcloths and towels with fresh ones and wash used ones.
- Inspect pantry and supplies. Check the pantry for expired or stale items, and restock supplies as needed.
- Deep clean storage areas. Remove all food items, discard expired ones, and clean shelves and drawers thoroughly before returning the items.
- Clean glass surfaces. Wipe down any glass surface in your break room, including windows and mirrors.
- Clean, inspect, and service appliances. Thoroughly clean your fridge and other appliances every month. Then, check for any maintenance needs or issues with them and arrange for repairs if necessary.
- Deep clean floors. Perform thorough floor cleaning, including mopping and waxing or polishing as necessary.
Give Your Employees a Pleasant Space To Relax and Recharge With JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting
A clean break room reflects positively on your business and can also contribute to a happier and more productive environment.
However, as your kitchen and break rooms are where your employees relax, socialize, or eat between shifts, these activities make them prone to developing dirt and grime. Following an office or breakroom cleaning checklist like the one above can bring order into your workplace cleaning routine and enable you to cover all areas.
If you’re fully invested in boosting employee satisfaction and well-being, partnering with JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting is worthwhile. As a commercial cleaning company specializing in business office cleaning, certified cleaning franchisees use modern equipment and safe cleaning agents to sanitize your break room and, most importantly, ensure worker health and safety.
Best of all, the certified franchisees stand ready to serve your workplace with a customized cleaning plan. They deliver cleaning solutions that make sense for your office’s spaces, from the boardroom to the break room and bathrooms.
Take the first step in keeping your employees’ work environment pleasant and comfortable. Find your local JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting today to learn how its comprehensive office cleaning solutions can help.
Cleaning and disinfecting services provided by independently owned and operated JAN-PRO Cleaning & Disinfecting franchisees.