Everyone knows that part of running a workplace is keeping that workplace clean. But not everybody realizes how big an impact commercial cleaning can have on a business environment. At JAN-PRO, over 25 years of commercial cleaning industry experience have taught us the value of workplace cleaning and the numbers back us up. Below, we’ve collected key stats about workplace hygiene and cleaning that every business owner should know when they’re choosing a cleaning provider.
The Cost of Sick Employees
- Sick days, worker compensation, and other costs linked to workplace illness cost American businesses $576 billion every single year.
- 40% of workers report that they went into work while sick in 2016, increasing the risk of bacterial or viral transfer from employee to employee.
- Employees who work through cold/flu symptoms report a 3% to 8% reduction in performance.
- Workers suffering from dust exposure suffer a 2% to 6% decline in their cognitive abilities, as measured in typing, logical, reasoning, memory, arithmetic, and creative thinking skills.
Germs in the Workplace
- Sink faucet handles are considered the dirtiest place in the average workspace, with 229,000 germs per square inch.
- Phones are typically the most contaminated gadget in the office, with over 25,000 germs per square inch.
- The average desk is covered in 21,000 germs per square inch, which works out to over 1,000,000 germs on a typical desk 10 times more than the average kitchen table.
- Even though the average desk is covered in germs, 62% of office workers choose to eat lunch at their desks.
- 50% of office workers also snack at their desks and 27% eat breakfast at their work station.
- Despite the high germ count on the average desk, only 20% of workers clean their workspace before eating on it.
The Importance of Commercial Cleaning
- Proper commercial cleaning reduces the risk of workers catching the common cold and flu at work by a full 80%.
- Workplaces with quality commercial cleaning vendors report 46% fewer sick days each year.
- Commercial cleaning can increase productivity as much as 2% to 8%, while improving worker health and satisfaction.
The JAN-PRO Difference
- JAN-PRO’s EnviroShield disinfection system eliminates 99.9999% of germs and bacteria on contact.
- Our HEPA-filter vacuums trap airborne microbes as small as 0.4 microns in diameter.
- JAN-PRO cleaners serve 40,000 customers worldwide with one of the highest customer retention rates in the commercial cleaning business.
Bring the JAN-PRO difference to your business today. Call 866-355-1064 today for a free commercial and office cleaning consultation.