When you work in the medical field, you know as well as anyone just how dangerous bacteria and viruses can be. That’s true anywhere — but it’s especially true in medical facilities. So it’s no surprise that great medical office cleaning depends on higher standards than any other kind of cleaning.
But how can you be sure that your medical office cleaning provider is meeting those standards? Below, the medical office cleaning experts at JAN-PRO® have outlined the biggest cleaning challenges found in medical facilities along with the essential strategies used by cleaners to tackle these issues.
Medical Office Cleaning Challenges
There are a number of unique conditions that make cleaning a medical office different from cleaning your standard office or workplace. These challenges include:
- Disinfection of high-touch areas, hard-to-reach spaces, and porous surfaces.
- Cleaner familiarity with medical-specific spaces, such as patient rooms, operatories, and waiting areas.
- Bathroom cleaning that eliminates the threat of germ-transfer.
- Reduction of airborne irritants and fumes for patients with respiratory issues.
- Safe removal of biohazardous material.
- Elimination of cross-contamination concerns.
- Upholding OSHA standards, as well as any applicable standards from the CDC, AORN, and Joint Commission.
While many cleaning companies claim they’re up to these challenges, too many try to apply standard solutions to areas that require a deeper clean.
Medical Office Cleaning Strategies
To combat these challenges, medical office cleaning teams need to have the right strategies, systems, and cleaning products at their disposal. We highly recommend that you interview prospective cleaning vendors in detail about the ways that they address all of the above issues.
When choosing between medical office cleaning vendors, you’ll want to make sure that they use strategies such as:
- A medical-grade disinfection system that can safely eliminate germs from even the toughest-to-reach areas.
- Training protocols that make sure cleaners are familiar with cleaning and disinfection of medical-specific spaces.
- Bathroom cleaning protocols that target germ hotspots like faucet handles, flush handles, and towel dispensers.
- HEPA-filter vacuuming to reduce airborne irritants.
- Products and cleaning methods that reduce the need for harsh cleaning agents.
- Biohazard waste removal and disposal protocols.
- Color-coded cleaning supplies to prevent bacterial and viral cross-contamination.
- Familiarity with and strict adherence to all regulatory standards.
And remember, your medical office cleaning provider shouldn’t just be able to meet most of these requirements. They should be able to meet all of them to ensure medical-grade cleaning.
JAN-PRO’s MedMetrix® program brings a higher grade of medical office cleaning to facilities across America. Call 866-355-1064 for a free estimate.