Dusting is one of the most basic features of commercial cleaning services. It’s also one of the most frequently overlooked. Dust is so commonplace — and so seemingly harmless — that most people don’t think twice about how it’s cleaned up.
What most people don’t realize is how pernicious dust actually is. Despite its harmless appearance, dust is a leading cause of indoor air pollution, which has been linked to increased rates of absenteeism and reduced rates of worker productivity.
The fact is that dust can do real damage to your business. Moreover, your choice of commercial cleaning services can make a big difference when it comes to dust in the workplace. Some cleaning companies cut corners, which can actually make dust problems worse. Meanwhile, the best commercial cleaning services use proven techniques and technologies to fight dust at work.
Dust Makes Your Employees Sicker & Less Productive
Decades ago, people underestimated the impact of air pollution. These days, we know better. Cities and neighborhoods with high rates of air pollution have higher rates of illness and lower life expectancy than those with cleaner air, and many communities have taken initiatives to improve their city’s air quality.
Yet for all the attention on outdoor air quality, most people ignored indoor air quality until recently. That’s changed in recent years. A number of studies have proven that indoor air quality has a huge impact on our health and well-being, as well as on the bottom line of businesses.
It should come as no surprise that dust is one of the biggest contributors to indoor air pollution. And while certain types of dust are more harmful than others, even the most harmless varieties of dust can lead to health concerns. Elevated levels of exposure to dust and/or dust mites are associated with increased rates of headaches, coughing, sneezing, runny noses, skin irritation, and respiratory illness, among other issues.
In light of this, it’s little surprise that higher levels of dust in the workplace have been linked with increased HR costs and reduced worker output. In workplaces with poor air quality, workers call in sick more often, make errors with increased frequency, and produce a lower level of output compared to their peers.
The good news? You can reduce dust and boost indoor air quality with the right commercial cleaning services.
Dusting Best Practices for Commercial Cleaning Services
At JAN-PRO®, we know the impact that dust and other forms of air pollution can have on your workplace. Our commercial cleaning services are designed to trap higher rates of dust, to prevent dust particles from re-entering the air, and to accomplish both of these goals in the most efficient manner possible.
How do we accomplish this? Below are five important areas where JAN-PRO commercial cleaning services work to combat dust in the workplace.
- Identifying Dust Build-Up. A dust-free workspace is only possible if cleaners know where to find dust in the first place. Poorly trained cleaners will dust obvious areas — like desktops and shelves — while skipping hard-to-find, hard-to-reach, and hard-to-clean areas. At JAN-PRO, our certification program teaches cleaners how to identify these areas and remove dust effectively.
- Effective Dusting Methods. Untrained cleaners can actually make dust issues worse in your workplace. These cleaners often use the wrong techniques or equipment when dusting. Instead of removing dust, they end up moving it around. In the worst cases, dust re-enters the air, exacerbating air pollution. So, it’s important that cleaners are well-equipped and follow set guidelines for cleaning standards.
- Microfiber Cleaning Materials. If your commercial cleaning services provider isn’t using microfiber cleaning cloths or mop pads, you should consider switching contractors. No other material captures dust better than microfiber textiles. On a flat surface, a dampened microfiber cloth will trap 99% of dust, as well as 99% of bacteria.
- Backpack Vacuums. Upright vacuums are great for home use, but in the world of commercial cleaning services, backpack vacuums are a smarter choice. Cleaners are more productive with backpack vacuums, cleaning more square feet per minute compared to upright vacuums. Backpack vacuums also make it easier to vacuum dust out of hard-to-reach areas, like air vents.
- HEPA Filtration Technology. HEPA filters are a must-have feature in the vacuums used by commercial cleaning services. Without HEPA filtration, vacuums will spew microscopic particles of dust back into the air. Vacuums equipped with HEPA filters, however, will trap particles as small as 0.3 microns in diameter. This not only prevents dust from re-entering the air in your workplace, but it allows cleaners to purify the air in your facility as they vacuum.
If you want to get serious about fighting air pollution in the workplace, we invite you to contact your local JAN-PRO office. Your local JAN-PRO owner-operator will be happy to provide you with more information about our commercial cleaning services and create a custom cleaning plan that addresses indoor air quality.
Call JAN-PRO at 866-355-1064 today to get more information about our commercial cleaning services.