Office Cleaning Tips for Germy Desktops
Everyone knows that the office bathroom and break room can be magnets for bacteria. But not everyone realizes how many germs are attracted to the average desktop. In fact, the average desktop is crawling with roughly a million bacteria, making it one of the least hygienic surfaces in the average workspace, and a major focus for office cleaning professionals.
If you’re concerned about the hygiene of your workspace, there are steps you and your office cleaning provider can take to eliminate desktop germs. By being smart about hygiene and following rigorous office cleaning protocols, you can help ensure a safer and healthier workspace.
Build Up Your Desk’s Germ Defenses
The layout of your desk and the way you use your workspace can make a big difference in how many germs it attracts. If you want to cut down on the number of germs on your desk, consider reorganizing your workspace:
- Clutter can create safe havens for germs to breed and make it difficult to clean your desk properly. Cut down on clutter by only keeping frequently used items on your desktop and organizing papers.
- Add a small, easy-to-care-for house plant to your desktop. Plants act as natural air filters and can trap harmful bacteria before they reach your desk.
Practice Healthy Workspace Hygiene
Most germs are introduced to your desktop through poor hygiene practices. Whether you’re eating lunch at your desk without taking the necessary precautions or failing to properly wash your hands after going to the bathroom, there are many ways you can easily introduce germs to your desk. To avoid this, you should:
- Eat lunch or snacks away from your desk whenever possible.
- If you need to eat at your desk, make sure to wipe down and disinfect your desk surface before and after eating. Avoid finger foods if you will also be handling your mouse, keyboard, or phone.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before eating, after eating, and after going to the bathroom.
- Keep a disinfecting gel or hand wipes nearby to disinfect your hands for times when you touch germy surfaces (like doorknobs, elevator buttons, or other people’s hands).
Be Smart About Office Cleaning
Even the most hygienic day-to-day practices won’t be able to keep your desk 100% germ-free. That makes office cleaning an essential part of fighting germs found on your desktop. Some of the office cleaning guidelines you should follow include:
- Disinfect your desk surface once a day, using disinfecting wipes or by having your office cleaning team treat the surface with a disinfecting system.
- Make sure your preferred method of disinfection also works on phones, computer keyboards, and computer mice.
- Use microfiber cleaning materials when cleaning your desktop to ensuring germs are actually trapped instead of just moved from one spot to another.
By being smart about desktop organization, workplace hygiene, and office cleaning, you will be able to effectively combat the germs on your desktop.
Discover the difference made by JAN-PRO® office cleaning services. Call 866-355-1064 today to connect with your local office.